- From 2 March 2021 - Variable interest rate of 0.10% gross* p.a./AER**
- Current variable interest rate of 0.20% gross* p.a./AER**
- Available to individuals and trustees (1)
- The minimum amount to open an Easy Access account is £25
- The maximum investment is £125,000
- No-notice withdrawals
- A minimum balance of £25 is required in your account
- Monthly savings options
- View your account, request withdrawals and send secure messages via our online service (restrictions apply)
- Deposits can be made via bank transfer or by cheque through the post
- Interest payable on 31 December
- Statements issued annually in January
- Limited to one Easy Access account per member
- To open and maintain an account, you will need to be resident in the UK and not resident for tax purposes anywhere other than the UK
- Option to apply for an account in a young person's name or on behalf of a child (2)
- Voting rights available (3)
*We pay all savings interest gross, which means that no tax is deducted. It's your responsibility to pay any tax due, based on your individual circumstances. Tax rules may change in future.
**AER stands for Annual Equivalent Rate and provides a means of comparing interest rates by showing what the rate would be if interest was paid and added once a year.
1. Where the trust account is subject to a formal trust document, accounts will only be accepted where a trustee or beneficiary has been a member of the Society for the previous twelve months.
2. These accounts can be opened for a young person aged 16 or 17, or by parents or relatives as trustees for a child of any age. For further information please refer to the section below Open an account for a young person (16-17 years) or on behalf of a child.
3. Voting rights are available to those individuals aged 18 or over whose account balance was not less than £100 between the Society’s previous financial year end (or other date as specified in the Rules) and the date of voting.
The information provided in this Summary Box is a summary of the key features of the Easy Access account and is not intended to be a substitute for reading the terms and conditions that apply to the account.
Account name: Easy Access
What is the interest rate?
From 2 March 2021, the Easy Access account offers a current variable rate of interest of 0.10% gross* p.a./AER**.
Before 2 March 2021, the Easy Access account offers a current variable rate of interest of 0.20% gross* p.a./AER**.
Interest is calculated on a daily basis and credited to your account on 31 December each year.
* We pay all savings interest gross, which means that no tax is deducted. It’s your responsibility to pay any tax due, based on your individual circumstances. Tax rules may change in future.
** AER stands for Annual Equivalent Rate and provides a means of comparing interest rates by showing what the rate would be if interest was paid and added once a year.
Can Ecology Building Society change the interest rate?
We may change interest rates at any time if we reasonably believe that the change is needed for any of the following reasons (which may relate to circumstances existing at the time or those that are expected to apply in the near future):
• to respond to changes in the Bank of England Base Rate
• to respond to changes in mortgage or interest rates generally (including the interest rates paid on similar accounts by other providers of financial services)
• to enable us to manage the difference between the interest rates charged to our borrowers and interest rates paid to our investors, or the providers of funds to us, taking into account the interests of the Society, our members, and your rights and interests as an account holder
• to respond to changes in the law or the decision of a court or ombudsman
• to meet relevant regulatory requirements
• to respond to new (or changes to) statements or codes of practice or industry guidance designed to enhance consumer protection
• to reflect changes to our costs in providing the account, including administration costs and costs of providing services or facilities
• to introduce or alter ‘tiers’ of interest where different rates apply depending on the amount in the account.
Where we make any such change, we will act reasonably and we will only make the change if we believe it is fair in the circumstances.
Any change we make to interest rates will be proportionate to the circumstances giving rise to the change.
For further information regarding interest rate changes including the process for notifying you, please refer to section 7 in our leaflet Saving with Ecology – General terms and conditions.
What would the estimated balance be after 12 months based on a £1,000 deposit?
From 2 March 2021, based on an interest rate of 0.10% gross, the balance on a £1,000 deposit after 12 months would be £1,001.00.
After 2 March 2021, based on a current interest rate of 0.20% gross, the balance on a £1,000 deposit after 12 months would be £1,002.00.
This projection is provided for illustrative purposes only and does not take into account your individual circumstances.
How do I open and manage my account?
Limited to one Easy Access account per member.
To open an account, please go to the ‘How to apply for an Easy Access Account’ section towards the bottom of this page. Alternatively, you can request an application pack by emailing [email protected] or calling us on 01535 650 770.
With our online service, you can view your account transactions, send secure messages and request withdrawals.
The minimum amount to open an Easy Access account is £25 and the maximum investment is £125,000.
The minimum amount required to keep an Easy Access account open is £25.
Deposits can be made via bank transfer or by cheque through the post. You can also save monthly by Direct Debit or standing order (the minimum amount payable by Direct Debit is £10)
Can I withdraw money?
As there is no notice period with the Easy Access account, you have unrestricted access to your funds.
The minimum withdrawal amount is £5 and withdrawals must be for a specific amount unless the account is to be closed. Accounts can be closed upon request and with no penalty.
Withdrawals can be requested via our online service (restrictions apply). Withdrawals can also be requested by using one of our Withdrawal/Notification forms or by sending us a letter signed by whoever is authorised to operate the account.
This Summary Box should be read in conjunction with the following brochures and leaflets before applying for an Easy Access account:
• Easy Access account brochure
• Saving with Ecology – General terms and conditions
• FSCS Information Sheet
• Current savings rates and charges
• Our range of savings accounts
• Savings account identification requirements
Our impact isn't about the profit we make – it's about the difference we make to the environment and to communities across the UK.
Since 1981 we've lent to over 3,000 projects, supporting individuals, charities, environmental businesses and community-led housing organisations to realise their sustainable living ambitions.
In 2019 we lent £43.5 million to support 308 sustainable properties and projects.
- Customer project
Jenny’s Story: A Simple & Light Urban Passivhaus
Project type: Self-build
In her mind’s eye, Jenny wanted a self-built home that was simple and beautiful, plain but not austere, with high ceilings and flooded with light from every direction. She also wanted to create a low-energy and low-tech build, constructed from sustainable, locally sourced materials. With the support of an Ecology mortgage, Jenny achieved this ...ReadSee all projects
- Customer project
Nina & Phil’s Story: Big Love For A Smallholding
Project type: Woodlands
Frustrated by the ethos and stresses of many modern businesses, Nina and Phil wanted to do things differently. Their dream of running a sustainable, low-impact smallholding began in 2007. After viewing several parcels of land, the couple identified an inspiring fifteen-acre plot high above the town of Silsden in West Yorkshire. Approaching ...ReadSee all projects
- Customer project
UK’s 1st Certified Passivhaus Plus Self-Build Home
Project type: Self-build
Rob and Karin set out to build a comfortable family home that would improve their quality of life as well as reduce their carbon footprint. They chose the Passivhaus Plus standard for their build, which combines the Passivhaus approach to minimising energy requirements with on-site renewable energy generation. This means that the building ...ReadSee all projects
- Customer project
Irene & David’s Story: Converting To Passivhaus
Project type: Conversion
After living happily in a Victorian house on the outskirts of Ripon, North Yorkshire, for 20 years, Irene and David were ready for a change. They wanted a home that was less costly to heat and maintain, in a location that would reduce their reliance on car travel. This is exactly what they achieved. Their new house is an energy-efficient converted ...ReadSee all projects
Ecology Building Society was rated as an ethical Best Buy for our mortgages, ISAs and savings accounts by Ethical Consumer magazine in its product guide rankings (May/June 2018 issue).
Your eligible deposits with Ecology Building Society are protected up to a total of £85,000 by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme, the UK's deposit guarantee scheme. Any deposits you hold above the limit are unlikely to be covered. Please click here for further information or visit www.fscs.org.uk | FSCS Information Sheet
In a young person’s name (16-17 years old)
An account can be opened by a young person aged 16 or 17 with a cheque or a payment from an account in their name.
Alternatively, a parent or relative can provide:
- a cheque (drawn on their own personal current account);
- a bank or building society cheque (supported by an investment account statement from the relevant bank or building society); or
- a bank transfer from an account.
A covering letter must also be provided confirming the money is being given to the young person and how they are related.
We will need to verify the identity and address of the young person. For details of how this is done, please read the Savings account identification requirements leaflet.
On behalf of a child (as a trustee)
An account can be opened by a parent or relative as a trustee for a child of any age if the parent or relative makes an initial deposit from an account held in their name. Applicants (the parents or relatives) must each have their identity verified in accordance with the information provided in the Savings account identification requirements leaflet specified for individual’s identification requirements. The application should be accompanied by a Birth/Adoption certificate (original only), NHS Medical Card or National Insurance notification letter.
How to apply for an Easy Access account
Step 1.Please read all the applicable leaflets before applying
Step 2.Tick to download an Easy Access application and Direct Debit forms
Step 3.Post your Easy Access application and Direct Debit forms to us - please note, scanned copies are not accepted
Please refer to our identification requirements list in case we request more information